Here are some important things you can do to help protect your rights both before and after an accident:
- After individuals are involved in automobile accidents, there are several critical steps people should take to protect their rights. Some of the steps drivers should take include the following:
- Call the police and wait for them to arrive at the scene of the accident;
- Get medical attention for yourself and others who may be injured;
- Obtain the name, address, and contact information of the other drivers and any witnesses;
- Obtain the insurance policy information of the vehicle owners;
- Take photographs of the accident scene, including the position of the vehicles, road conditions, and lighting conditions;
- Contact ARDITO LAW FIRM. P.C. as soon as possible. It is always better to speak to an attorney before speaking with EITHER insurance company, yours or the other driver’s.
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
- New York’s “no-fault law” requires benefits to be paid by the insurance company of the car you were a driver or a passenger in, or by a car that hits a pedestrian, regardless of who was responsible for the accident. Benefits may include payment of medical bills, prescription drugs, lost wages, housekeeping and transportation to and from medical providers related to the accident. However, an accident victim has only 30 days from the date of the accident to file an application for these benefits, so do not delay. Contact ARDITO LAW FIRM, P.C. as soon as possible after the accident so we can make sure your rights to these benefits are protected.
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
- There is a great way to provide additional protection for your family before an accident occurs: Uninsured Motorist Coverage (“UM”) and Supplemental Underinsured Motorist (“SUM”) coverage. This coverage protects the injured party who is hit by a motor vehicle that has no insurance or insurance that is less than theirs.
Check your policy to be sure your rights are protected! Although this coverage can be equal to the “liability” coverage that you have purchased to protect others, insurance companies rarely make you aware of this, which results in people having lower coverage for themselves and their loved one’s than they have to protect others! Review the “declarations page” of your auto insurance policy and be sure that these coverage types match. If not, call your broker or insurance company immediately to be sure you and your loved-ones are protected!
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
- If a government or municipal agency is involved in your accident, generally speaking, a written notice of claim must be filed within 90 days from the date of the accident. The failure to file this document can be fatal to an otherwise valid claim. It is not always apparent that a government or municipal agency is involved in your accident and often requires a professional evaluation of all the facts and circumstances. Contact ARDITO LAW FIRM, P.C. as soon as possible after the accident so we can make sure that your rights are protected!
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
- Whenever possible, ARDITO LAW FIRM. P.C. recommends that you take pictures of the scene of the accident as soon as possible. Sometimes, this is the only way to get documented evidence of what caused your accident since the scene may change before anyone else can get to it.